UCSF Foundation Investment Company
UCSF's Investment Company (IC) was founded in 2015 to oversee the
Foundation's endowment assets, which now total ~$1.7 billion. With offices in
downtown San Francisco and an eight-person team, the IC manages a portfolio
that spans all asset classes, including the public and private markets. Details on
the organization and team can be found here.
We are both a start-up and an institution with a 155-year history, and our goal is
to build a team, a process and a portfolio that matches the excellence of UCSF,
which is consistently ranked as one of the top medical schools in the US. We have
an experienced investment team and a global, multi-asset class portfolio, and we
need an experienced person to help manage the financial and operational aspects
of that effort.
This is a hands-on role that requires the ability to analyze and synthesize data,
exercise independent judgment, build relationships and create high quality
deliverables. The Controller will also serve as a part of the larger team, providing
support as needed to our investment management team.
- Responsible for the internal operations through ownership of the
accounting, budgeting and reporting functions
- Ensure that financial transactions, policies and procedures meet
organization objectives, needs and regulatory requirements
- Develop, maintain, and update necessary accounting policies and
procedures and proper internal controls
- Lead the administrative functions, including management of external
- Responsible for Human Resources function and payroll
- Support annual audit process and valuation of the portfolio
- Work closely with our accounting colleagues at the Foundation and on
- Manage execution of investment decisions, including trading, legal
documentation, rebalancing, etc.
- Support the investment team’s oversight of the portfolio through
management of investment operations
- Oversee portfolio reporting, including analytics, exposures,
performance and attribution; contribute to selection and oversight of
related software and IT systems
- Serve as assistant corporate secretary to the Board of Directors
- Continue refinement of investment documentation and knowledge
Education & Experience
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in a senior
accounting and finance function; investment operations experience
- Experience in budget, payroll, accounts payable required
- Graduate degree and/or CPA preferred
- Advanced skills in Excel, Word and PowerPoint are required
- Experience leading the reporting, operations or middle office function at
an asset management firm preferred
- Previous exposure to traditional and alternative investment strategies
- Experienced in project management and system implementation
- Desire to work as a hands-on manager in a dynamic, mission-driven
Abilities & Attributes
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated track record of producing high quality deliverables on
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Self-starter and problem-solver
- Interest in the endowment model of investing
- Entrepreneurial spirit
The title and compensation for this role will be based on the successful applicant’s
level of experience.
To apply, please send a brief cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please put “Investco Controller” in the subject line of the email.
The UCSF Foundation Investment Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We offer a dynamic, intellectually stimulating and diverse working environment,
competitive salaries, and comprehensive benefits.